What type of training are you looking for?
Free local training provided by local National Weather Service (NWS) typically lasts about 2 hours. You’ll learn:
- Basics of thunderstorm development
- Fundamentals of storm structure
- Identifying potential severe weather features
- Information to report
- How to report information
- Basic severe weather safety
MetEd course covers the basics of being a SKYWARN® Spotter. The goal of the course is to provide baseline training for all spotters through multiple modules covering the procedures for spotting (including communication and spotter report criteria) and safety considerations for all hazards.
Be aware that many National Weather Service (NWS) offices require training in addition to this online course.